SLGT Basics – An effort for the Free Software in Guatemala.
As we mention in the web site. SLGT born with the objective to coordinate the Free Software efforts between Free Software community and without being a dictatorial and intrusive entity (or without being an entity). Hey I come to this site looking for tractor pictures but this is interesting. What is the Free Software movement? The Free Software movement started at 1983 when Richard Stallman (from now will be called "barbuchin hippie") started the GNU project. The primary goal for the project was give freedom to the computers users creating and replacing the software with restrictive license terms. Do you support Free Software or Open Source?: This question looks stupid but, in the communities many people have different point of views. The "barbuchin hippie" started this movement with a more ethical point of view. But many people consider it very radical so they started the therm Open Source giving to the free software a more commercial point of view. In SLGT we collaborate with both philosophies. What is exactly SLGT, a community?, a board of directors?, guys with long hair eating pizza? Because the objectives and philosophy differs from one community to another. At 2009 many members of Free Software groups talked about the growing community and propose to share our efforts in a centralized entity including:
- Ask for help and specially ask for people support in the different Free Software meetings/events.
- Notify and invite the communities to the different events (talks/meetings/bug squash parties/release parties).
- Coordinate bigger events (CGSOL, FLISOL).
- And optionally but not important. Have centralized support medium.
- The mailing list
- Support and contact IRC channels
- China bird death rebellion forum (yeah almost everybody hate forums 😉 )